Cosmetic vs Plastic Surgeons Q&A
Dr. Yongsook Victoria Suh, MD offers surgical and nonsurgical procedures that enhance and reshape structures of the body to improve appearance and confidence. For more information, call us today or book an appointment online. Visit us today at 8503 Arlington Blvd #130 Fairfax, VA 22031.
Table of Contents:
Plastic surgery is the surgical alteration of the human body to correct physical deformities and abnormalities. Plastic surgery is an incredibly broad term, covering a number of different procedures, including facelifts, breast augmentations, rhinoplasty (nose reshaping), and liposuction. It is a growing field that has helped a countless number of people look and feel better about their appearances.
Plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery are intrinsically linked and similar in nature, which is why there is so much difficulty differentiating between the two. To add to the confusion, plastic surgeons are often cosmetic surgeons and vice versa. In simplest terms, plastic surgery is the surgical specialty dedicated to the reconstruction of facial and body defects caused by birth disorders, trauma, burns, and disease. On the other hand, cosmetic surgery is defined as any type of surgical procedure that is used to enhance one’s appearance. While both cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery deal with improving a patient’s body, the approaches used and the philosophies behind the practices are different.
The most popular cosmetic surgeries are:
• Nose Reshaping — 352,555 procedures performed in 2020
• Eyelid Surgery — 325,112 procedures performed in 2020
• Facelift — 234,374 procedures performed in 2020
• Liposuction — 211, 067 procedures performed in 2020
• Breast Augmentation — 193,073 procedures performed in 2020
Cosmetic plastic surgeons can provide the most comprehensive selection of aesthetic treatments and procedures, both surgical and noninvasive. At Victoria Plastic Surgery Center, we offer the following services:
• Face Lift
• Facial Rejuvenation
• Breast Enhancement
• Body Contouring
• Photo Rejuvenation
• Fat Reduction Treatment
• Face And Skin Care
• Botox & Fillers
• Acne & Scar treatment
• Laser Tattoo Removal
• Laser Hair Removal
If you have decided that you want to get plastic surgery, you may be wondering where to start looking. There are many things that can help determine whether or not a plastic surgeon is a right fit; the top three include:
• Expertise — Plastic surgery is a highly complex specialty that requires years of education and training; therefore, in the United States, all plastic surgeons should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Asking the surgeon about their professional involvement in teaching, speaking, or writing about the procedure they will be performing is a great way to determine if they are up-to-date on new techniques and technology.
• Experience — In addition to the right training and education, plastic surgeons should have experience performing the type of surgery you are considering; this way, they can provide the highest quality of service. Some surgeons specialize in particular procedures; whatever procedure you are considering should be in their top three. A good way to gauge their experience is if they have performed this type of procedure at least once per week for five or more years. Plastic surgery is a complex art and requires constant practice in order to perfect; even if the surgeon has performed hundreds of a certain procedures, if it has been years or even just months since they last performed it, they could be missing out on important details of which an experienced surgeon would be mindful.
• Exceptional Results — Lastly, when considering a plastic surgery procedure, it is imperative that the surgeon has before and after photos so that you can determine if those are the results you wish to achieve. So after ensuring that your potential surgeon has the expertise and experience, the next step is to check their results to see if you will be satisfied with the outcome of the procedure.
At Victoria Plastic Surgery Center, we take the utmost care to ensure that all of our patients are happy and satisfied with their results. Call us for more information or book an appointment online. Visit us today at 8503 Arlington Blvd #130 Fairfax, VA 22031. We look forward to serving you! We serve clients from Fairfax VA, Alexandria VA, Washington VA, Reston VA, Annandale VA, and Manassas VA.